|MAIN PAGE||HISTORY INDEX||WILDLIFE INDEX||DAGNAM PARK MAP||NOAK HILL MAP|
MAYLANDS FARM HOUSE 1981.
A somewhat shy and rather inappropriate modern conservatory can be seen peeping around the corner.
On the bottom photograph the front elevation is shown with what could be a somewhat later large side addition. Today (2004) the extensive old farm buildings are the headquarters of The Maylands golf club and they include an Italian Restaurant.
|Below a map from 1896 and then the description taken from the 1919 auction catalogue|
LOT 1. MAYLANDS FARM
THE FARM HOUSE.
Containing : Five Bed Rooms, Bath Room, hot and cold water. Lavatory Basin and W,C, Dinning Room, Drawing Room, Breakfast Room, Kitchen, Larder, Pantry, Cellar and detached Wood and Coal Sheds.
THE FARM BUILDINGS.
Comprising : Two-stall Nag Stable and Harness Room, Cart Horse Stable for Six, with Loft and Lean-to Hen House, Cow Stall accommodation for 44 Cows (including Cow Shed which has been converted by the Tenant into Loose Boxes and which he is under Agreement to return to its original condition if required to do so by an incoming Tenant), Coach House, Granary, large Barn used for Fodder or Mixing Room with Loft over, Lean-to Grain Pit, and Loose Box and large Waggon Lodge, together with Barn and open Sheds in Field No. 183.
A PAIR Of EXCELLENT COTTAGES.
Which each contain Three Bed Rooms, Sitting Room, Larder and Wash House, Wood and Coal Lodges and W. C.
The Occupier was Mr. G. Gotheridge
The Outgoings : Tithe Rent Charge (Commuted Amount) £55 : 2s : 8d.
Maylands Aerodrome in about 1935, the hangars in the foreground look new. In the background Maylands Farm (The Golf Club opened in 1936 ) The two cottages on the track to the club from the A12 were badly damaged by a parachute bomb during WW2. They were replaced after the war. Alongside the A12 on the left of the picture is the control tower and some offices. The Hangars and eight aircraft were destroyed in a catastrophic fire in 1940 and the airport was never used again.
Information from Maylands Aerodrome 1928 -1940. by Anthony K Philpot. Ian Henry Publications. 2003