This farm was also originally part of the manor
of Gooshays, The name New Hall is medieval in derivation and
as the farm is the oldest on Harold Hill, first mentioned l46l,
it was probably named after the first farm house or hall to
be built, therefore, the New Hall. When the manor was sold in
1829, the farm was a part of Gooshays Manor, as well as Pinchbeck
smallholding, which adjoined New Hall. In 1919, the tenants
were Mr. and Mrs. J. Mallison who had received the tenancy in
1913. The annual rent was £222. They also bought the farm
from the Neaves in that year. The farm was compulsorily purchased
by the L.C.C. in 1947 and eventually became the Morris Dancer.
Below is the description taken from the London Borough
of Havering's listed buildings website. The detail that the dormers
are 19th century must be erroneous as the top picture opposite
shows the house without dormers or the pitched roof on the porch.
This picture cannot be 19th century and must be early 20th century.
Below an extract from the 1919 auction catalogue.
At this auction a major part of the Neave estate was sold.
The excellent farm house
Has five attics (two used as bed rooms), four
bed rooms and dressing room, bath room with hot and cold water
and w.c. dining room, drawing room, study, kitchen, pantry,
scullery, bakehouse, wood and coal sheds, with well laid out
The farm buildings.
Comprising : two-stall nag stable, harness room
and coach house, cart horse stabling for five, with chaff house,
cow stalls for forty four cows, loose boxes, cooling room, barn
and mixing room with granary over. Lean-to grain pit, waggon
and implement shed, lean-to piggeries and hen house.
A pair of cottages. (scroll down for photograph)
Each containing two bed rooms, sitting room, kitchen,
scullery and detached wood shed.
The whole farm comprising : 139a. Or. 13p. Of
arable, pasture and woodland. With A prospective building value
and a long frontage to the main road and close to Harold Wood
Let as follows. 137a. 2r. 33p. Of arable and pasture at a rent
of £222. per annum.and la. Ir. 20p. of woodland in hand
(valued at £80). To be added to the purchase price).
The occupiers were the executors of Mr. R. Mallinson.
On a yearly tenancy.
The outgoings : tithe rent charge (commuted amount)
£36. 2s. 6d.
Land tax: £11. 2s od.
The purchaser was Mr. R. Mallinson. Who paid £9,050.
+ £80 for the growing timber for this lot and lot 14.
There were certain restrictions on the owners
of this property, namely that no roots or overhanging branches
of the trees along the avenue to Gooshays could be cut without
the consent in writing first being obtained from the owner of
lot 2. The owner of this lot was allowed to use the portion
of the avenue leading to Gooshays to his farm subject to him
paying his share of the upkeep to the owner of lot 2 (Gooshays).
Referred to as a pair of cottages in the 1919
auction catalogue these cottages were known as the lodge and
stood at the entrance to Gooshays Chase the photo was taken
in 1910 looking down the chase from what is now the A12.
It is almost certain that the barn below
was situated at New Hall. The photo was taken in about 1948
Recent Photo by Don Tait